Sunday, December 30, 2007
Family Ski and Snowboard Time
This week we drove up to Gore Mountain in the Adirondacks to squeeze in a little family skiing and snowboarding. We had a great time. It rained on our way up to Lake George but as we got closer the rain turned to snow. Yay!! The next morning we had four to five new inches of the white stuff. Good news! Unfortunately, half of New York State also decided to go skiing at Gore so the lift lines were long and the slopes crowded. We managed to have a lot of fun anyhow. Overnight it rained and then froze, just as it always does in New England, so the next day we had "fast conditions".
My son, Sean, who normally skis, decided to rent a snowboard for a day. Halfway through the day, his cousin, Teri (an accomplished skier), asked if she could try it. My other son, Derek, caught her first attempts on video and this is the funny result. My husband is in the yellow coat trying to help, even though he knows little about snowboarding.
I'm so grateful nobody captured my first attempts at skiing on video. That would have been high comedy. At one point, I think I fell between the ski instructor's legs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What a hoot, Stella! I especially love the sound of your son laughing as he is filming the whole thing. Looks like a great holiday!
Sounds like fun Stella. I was thinking it was you on the video and that you were very brave to try snowboarding!
That video made me glad I never tried snowboarding. I'm a fantastic skiier. I'm just not very good at turning or stopping so I tend not to ski very often.
People around here think we're nuts not to be skiiers. The mountains are only an hour away. But hey, we tried faking it and I almost broke my neck.
It's just not worth it.
Skiing is a fun way to get out and enjoy the winter, cold and all. I'm a decent skier - maybe advanced intermediate. I can ski the steeps but am not particularly good at the moguls. Think I'll avoid snowboarding, though.
I've been a skier since I was a kid, but get me on a snowboard and it's a complete disaster. It's so totally different. I've hurt myself more than once trying and it wasn't even on a big hill. Wish I could get the hang of it. My son on the other hand was ripping it up on the slopes when he was four.
I like to ski, but I'm not so sure about having both feet lashed to the same board!
Post a Comment