Every year the kids have their class picture taken. Like every other kid, I have my own collection of old class photos. I found this one recently among my mother's boxes and boxes of pictures, old report cards and checking statements. It's a picture of my first grade class. The teacher's name was Miss Clink. My dad said she was a kid -- only 21 years old at the time and fresh out of the state college. The next year she was gone -- to marry her sweetheart, settle down in a split level house someplace and start her own little family.Class pictures aren't something you appreciate until many years have gone by. You look back at them and wonder, whatever became of Stanley Lincoln who cried every morning? In the above picture, he's sitting to my left. Does Robin Rubel., in the second row, still have that idiotic grin? In ninth grade when we had to bring in a current event from the newspaper every morning, he brought in the obituaries each day without fail. I wonder if he grew up to become a mortician. And what happened to my good friend, Rhona? She moved at the end of first grade. We hadn't yet acquired the necessary letter writing skills to keep in touch. She's sitting in the first row three seats to my left. Was Terry a little retarded? He never got out of the Blue Birds reading group. Maybe he just had a learning disability. Why did they put me next to two boys for this picture? Was I too chatty? And what about George sitting at the end of the front row there in his bow tie? He liked to catch garter snakes from the woods behind the school and chase the girls around the playground with them. I bet he had a good time in college.
It's fun to look back at these old pictures and remember the people you played with, envied, fought with, competed with on the playground for a turn on the swings or a chance to use that waxed paper you'd saved from your ham sandwich so you could zip down the slide at 100 m.p.h. (so it seemed anyhow). I don't know what became of any of the people in this picture. Except me, of course. Do you know which one is me? My sons figured it out after a while -- mostly because my son, Sean, has my smile. I'm sitting in the front row, third from the left. Missing a few teeth, too.
5 comments:
I adore this post, Stella! I am saving my kids' class pictures for the same reason, though most of mine have been lost over the years. I love the kid who brought in the obits. What a hoot!
I remember wax paper, Dean Hatch who always ate half the jar of paste before we even had the paper and scissors out of our desk, the girl in second grade who flashed the boys in the drain tile on the playground (before she even knew what boobs were for!), and Red-headed Peggy who cried every morning of kindergarten as if someone kept running over her dog before school.
Thanks for sharing this your stream of consciousness!
It took me a minute to figure out what was so funny/different about this picture. Then I got it--none of the kids' feet touch the ground! I guess we didn't get those short, plastic chairs they put in the schools these days!
Very adorable. You do have the same grin as the picture of you on your blog!
Notice that all of the girls are wearing dresses, too. We had to wear dresses everyday to school. Boys weren't allowed to wear jeans. We only wore sneakers to gym, although I do remember running the 50 yard dash in street shoes (in 7.6 seconds) in 6th grade.
And shorts under the dresses so we could play on the monkey bars!
Stella,
I picked you out easily--it was your smile!
Post a Comment