When it comes to New Year's resolutions, I prefer to think in terms of goals. The word "resolution" has a heavy, burdensome tone to it. So I'll consider goals. What are they? I have a couple I'd like to keep in mind as I make my way through this year. Here they are:
1. Write at least one poem a month.
2. Finish writing my middle grade fantasy.
3. Put together enough paintings for a possible art show this summer (including the framing).
4. Lose that 10 pounds that keeps hanging around. That means exercising both more restraint and my body, no excuses.
5. Take either a portrait class or a figure class.
6. Submit more of my work, provided I have something worth subbing.
7. Attend a writing conference. I'd like to attend Chautauqua but only if it seems my novel is closing in on being finished. Unfortunately, by the time I know that it will be too late to apply. So, I'll probably go to the Long Island SCBWI conference.
There, that's enough for now. I'll be ecstatic if I can reach all my goals, but reasonably happy if I meet half of them.
Happy New Year everybody!
9 comments:
I agree--"resolution" sounds so gloomy, ominous, like being resolved or resigned to something. I'm going to set some goals too. My first one is to survive this whole DH job search/move!
As for Chautauqua--best thing I ever did! My book wasn't finished when I applied, and I even got a scholarship. It really put me on the right path. One of those life-changing experiences.
Good luck with all your goals!
I totally agree with you about resolution; it has too much of that set in stone feel. And life changes!
I like your goals--here's to serious progress on all of them!
I have no goals for the year other than writing when I can and keeping up with the laundry.
Not once this year shall I hear, "I have no socks!"
Job hunting is always stressful, but especially when you have a family to take care of. I'll keep your DH in my thoughts and prayers. My brother in law just got a job at Penn State, in charge of a new law library (he's a law librarian). He's worked for LSU for a number of years and I think he's looking forward to leaving the deep south.
Glad you liked Chautauqua. It is a bit expensive. I need to make a decision about it this month, if I'm going to apply. I'd love to go.
Funny, Linda, about keeping up with the laundry. When my youngest (the laundry king) was about 13, I gave up on him. I just couldn't work full time and keep him in clean clothes so I showed him how to use the machine and he's been doing his own laundry ever since.
Anyhow, good luck to all of you with your goals.
Way to handle the teenage laundry, Stella!
Thanks for the encouragement on the job front. Penn State is just a few hours away, and DH even applied there, but the job wasn't an exact match, so he's pretty much out of that one. I know something will come. Keepin' the faith...
Oh! About Chautauqua...the book I was working on then, as of today, is a breath away from a sale. The junior editor is recommending it to the senior editor. Wahoo!! I had only about 1/2 of it done when I went to Chautauqua, and it took me another year to finish it. You just never know.
Goals not resolutions! They sound great, Stella. You must be a busy woman. I'll be cheering you on!
Wow, Mary Ann! That's great news!! Here's hoping! That's the best kind of news you can ask for (almost). I'm sure your husband will find something soon. Persistence usually wins out. Thanks for sharing the news about your book. I'm excited for you!!
Hey! That's great news, Mary Ann! Good luck!
Post a Comment