Linda tagged me so here is my response to "What is a real mom?"
As every mother knows, there's more to being a mom than giving birth. Being a mom to me means:
1. Telling them no sometimes. No, you can't have a tv. in your room. No, you can't have your own cell phone. No, I am not your friend; I am your mom.
2. Teaching them that good manners don't cost anything.
3. Checking the closet for scary monsters before bedtime.
4. Helping them with their homework even after you've worked all day and you're tired and your body is screaming for a nap.
5. Reading Sylvester and the Magic Pebble - again. Or The Little House - again. Or Goodnight Moon - again.
6. Giving up your free time to take them to cello lessons, soccer practice, Cub Scouts, the spring concert, the holiday concert, violin lessons, the library etc.
7. Using a diaper bag in place of a purse for the first few years.
8. Finding it hard to watch your son's wrestling match, even when he's winning.
9. Having a game of catch on a soft summer afternoon.
10. Getting up in the middle of the night to clean up vomit.
11. Worrying when they get their driver's license.
12. Sending them care packages when they go away to college.
13. Never forgetting the moment you held their tiny bodies in your arms for the first time and marveled at how perfect and beautiful they were.
These are just a few of the things that came to my mind -- things I won't forget about being a mom.
4 comments:
Okay, what IS it about Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. Wouldn't you think that being turned into a boulder and your parents not being able to find you and not having any way to change back would be one of the scariest ideas on the planet, let alone in a picture book? But, my son, too, over and over and over.
Does it have something to do with never really going away?
Awww... you made me tear up.
I could go for one of those care packages right about now. But... very sweet post ma, makes me feel loved
Sean,
You ARE loved! And I'd send you a care package but I thought you were watching your weight?
Post a Comment