My mountain man, Derek, called this morning from Erwin, Tennessee. Two nights ago he'd hiked up to a shelter near the top of Bald Mountain (elevation 5500 ft.). The temperature, he said, had plummeted to about zero and so his water had frozen and his shoes -- and even his Snickers bars -- were blocks of ice. He had to hike a lot of miles before he finally warmed up.
While at the shelter, he looked at the log book. Sometimes the hikers leave messages for one another or comments about the scenery, weather conditions, things to look for, thoughts to ponder etc. There, spread across an entire page, was a message about an Easter Dinner that a so-called "trail angel" was hosting for the AT hikers. It was all you can eat- for free! So, Derek copied down the phone number and, when he came to a place with good phone reception, gave the kind angel a call. She picked him up in her truck and brought him to the church where he and about 60 other hikers had gathered for dinner. And eat they did! When you're hiking 12-20 miles a day, you work up a healthy appetite.
Apparently there are many trail angels along the route, people who pass out sandwiches, fruit salad, and even omelettes to the hikers passing through. What a generous thing to do. In a world crowded with too many ugly stories about war, hunger, savagery and neglect it's nice to hear of people performing selfless acts of kindness for total strangers.
Angels don't necessarily wear wings or halos. Sometimes they can look like our next door neighbors.
9 comments:
Great post, Stella. I'm loving reading about his journey. Thanks for sharing.
Why thanks, Dawnelle. I wonder sometimes if I'm boring everybody. Anyhow, it would be nice if we all had little angels to help us through the rough parts of our lives, wouldn't it?
That's awesome! I had no idea this trail was such a popular thing. Pretty darn cool.
Linda
Stella, I think you must be very close to publishing your children's book. Don't give up. Put more of your paintings and drawings on your blog. This blog is great. Baby steps from "What about Bob" came to mind. I read all of them but only will comment on one.
Thanks,Sharon! No need to comment on every silly post.
Now that's a story with heart. Thanks for posting it, Stella. Maybe it will inspire readers to think of how they might be angels for others.
Think of all of the people who help us on life's path by delivering (mail, babies, sermons), serving (food, our nation, higher causes), protecting (our homes, our freedom, the environment), performing (music, marriages, miracles) and collecting (garbage, wayward pets, good stories). There's no shortage of opportunity.
Stella,
I'm so enjoying reading about your son's journey. It's the exact type of thing I like to live VICARIOUSLY, and it being not MY son, makes it even more vicarious. :)
Is your son blogging about this anywhere? I'd love to read his impressions, too.
He sounds like he's doing great.
No, Derek isn't blogging about the hike because of limited access to computers. He is, however, writing an article for our local newspaper, The Suffolk County News, which prints his update every other week. He gets $50.00 an article. Unfortunately the SCN doesn't have an online version paper which comes out once a week.
I'd rather live it vicariously too. I like a hot shower in the morning and a comfortable bed at night.
Post a Comment