Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Procrastination

I believe I've taken the art of procrastination to a new level. It's amazing how many things I can find to distract myself from my writing. Here are just a few, I'm sorry to say.

1. Play game of online Scrabble. Lose to Maven (but at Master level).
2. Check email.
3. Complete NY Times crossword puzzle, except for 3 spaces in lower left hand corner.
4. Read friends' blogs.
5. Throw load of dirty laundry into washer.
6. Stare at last Mallomar in package and wonder if should eat it now or save it for dessert.
7. Fiddle with blog layout.
8. Play another game of Scrabble. Lose again to Maven, sigh.
9. Read another chapter of novel.
10. Throw laundry into dryer.
11. Make cup of tea.
12. Check email again.
13. Take recyclables out to curb.
14. Check Blue Boards.
15. Check SCBWI boards.
16. Look up weather in different parts of country. Then world.
17. Decide what the heck. Eat last Mallomar.
Problem: Husband has already eaten it.
Lesson: Don't procrastinate.

Don't be surprised if the next time you look up procrastinate in the dictionary, you find my picture alongside it. So, how do you while away the time? I know I'm not alone here.

3 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I flip back and forth between Blue board, Yella, my blog, friend's blogs, a few professional blogs, our crit site. Then by the time I get through all those, I have to start again, just in case someone has posted something while I was gone doing the other stuff. I can spend an entire day just flitting through the net.

Stella said...

I'm not usually this bad but with everybody away this Easter I've been having trouble focusing. The silence is deafening! I do better when I'm working because then I'm forced to structure my time.

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Oh yeah! I am so with you guys! I hit the blue boards, SCBWI boards, email, friends blogs, reorganize my desk (not that you could ever tell!), create new spreadsheets for different projects like tracking submissions or working my budget, eat some chocolate, then obsess about eating too much chocolate for at least 15 minutes,...

Yikes! The list is getting longer and longer. Today I procrastinated by grading papers and doing an editing job. okay...okay, that's not technically procrastinating, but perhaps its mis-prioritizing. I mean, I did drive all the way up to my DH's office to work on my book!

And Stella, I think I was much more productive and organized when I worked full time. Exhausted and half-crazy, but more productive!

Happy Easter, gals!