As my blood sugar has dropped, my vision has become blurry. The doctor said this is normal and to be patient because it will clear up in a few weeks. A few weeks! It's hard. So much of what I do and love to do hinges on being able to see clearly. I love to read (and read and read). I love to write. I love to draw and paint and do crossword puzzles. Now most of that is just about impossible. Even writing this is a challenge.
So, I've been taking walks with some running mixed in (good for my blood sugar), watching tv on the big screen and listening to music and the radio. I've lost about 10 pounds. It's hard to take in enough calories on this restrictive diet.
But, it could always be worse. And with stem cell research, perhaps the cure for diabetes is in the near future.
7 comments:
Oh, Stella! I've been so out of the loop lately! I hope this all settles down for you soon. I can't imagine how frustrating and scary it must be. My dad developed diabetes in his 50's. The more you can do with your diet, the better. Take good care, dear friend.
I'll be thinking of you.
Hugs!
It's so great that you're doing a good job taking care of yourself. Keep up the great work.
It must be so hard to give up the things you love. {{hugs}}
Stella, I'm so sorry. The vision thing must be so, so hard--especially with your love of books. Listen to the doctor,though--they think it'll get better. Hold onto that.
Thanks, Mary Ann, Linda and Becky. This thing took me by surprise. I'd felt awful lately -- so weak, tired and thirsty. I hadn't even considered diabetes. But my dad had it for over 40 years so I guess I just had that genetic predisposition. My blood sugar has been dropping steadily and my vision has improved a little. I can read if I sit next to the brightest light bulb in the house. Which is what I'm doing right now.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope I don't sound as though I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself. It's frustrating but at least I feel physically better.
Stella,
How alarming. You don't sound like you're feeling sorry for yourself at all--it just sounds scary. Are you on bedrest? How does a person even handle something like this?
Also, thank you for your recent post on my blog. One day at a time, you know?
Oh, Stella. Hang in there! It sounds like you're doing the things that are right for your health, and that takes alot of strength. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better since your original post and I hope things keep on improving for you.
Perhaps some recorded books could be nice in the meantime?
Hugs.
I'm sorry I didn't see this until today, Stella.
I think you're being incredibly positive and strong. The vision loss must be frightening as well as frustrating. Thank God it is temporary.
Post a Comment