Last week, when Derek made his way into New York State, he called. Could he bring some friends home for a few days? Of course, we said. So, my husband drove to Harriman State Park and picked up him and three of his hiking friends, and brought them all here for a brief sojourn from their arduous journey. So, we had Widowmaker, Cheeze, Katerpillar, Matt and Udog ( possibly the most well behaved dog I've ever met) stay with us for a few days. Matt found Udog in a state park last year, beaten and starving. He took her in, had her spayed and nursed her back to health. Now she accompanies Matt on his hike along the AT. She even carries her own little doggie backpack containing her food and leash.
Cheeze hails from Wisconsin, home of the Cheeseheads, hence his name.
On his first night camping on the trail, Widowmaker pitched his tent under a dead tree. That night a storm toppled the tree onto his tent. He was all right but it a close call. He was immediately dubbed Widowmaker.
The guys camped out on our den floor, grateful for a hot shower, some home cooked meals and a chance to rest their weary feet. Derek took them across the bay to Sunken Forest, Fire Island where they gazed at the ocean and took a quick swim in the chilly salt water. Salt water, by the way, has wonderful healing powers and the dip in the ocean helped to heal their sore feet. If you think of the ocean as a big Epsom Salts bath and you get the general picture. On their last night here, Widowmaker, who attended cooking school, whipped up a chocolate mousse to die for and we treated them to a Long Island specialty -- spaghetti with Littleneck clam sauce. The next morning, Dennis drove them back to the trail and they continued on their trek northward.
Derek, by the way, is now in Vermont where last night the temperature plunged into the upper 30s. This is July? Today he'll be going over Bromley ski area -- a place we skiied as a family many years ago.

4 comments:
Aww, you must have been so happy to have him home for a little bit. I bet they all smelled FANTASTIC when they arrived. hehe.
I love the story about the dog. I think it's wonderful when people rescue dogs -- they always turn out to be the sweetest dogs I've ever met. :)
About the smell, Dennis said he had to drive with the windows down. And everybody took showers as soon as they got here -- even the dog I hear. I was at work at the time so I don't really know. They were a great bunch of guys and certainly they're welcome here again.
This is such a wonderful journey! Sounds as if your son has some good friends--and what a great dog! What an amazing piece of life to always hold dear...for your son and for you.
I love reading about what your son is up to- such memories he'll have! Glad he stopped home for a bit. ;)
Post a Comment