
Well, I finally finished my enormous still life. It's nearly four feet long and two feet wide. Actually, I don't know the exact measurements but it required a lot of time, paint and hair pulling. The silver pitcher itself gave me fits. I must have spent three four to five hour sessions mixing and mixing to get the color right and then mixing some more in an effort to make it look metallic. My palette was a smear of umbers, yellows, blacks and blues. Then the green apples began to turn yellowish. Painting has it downside. Fruit and vegetables rot, flowers wilt. I always get paint over me - my hands, face, legs - you name it. Some of the paints aren't really safe -- namely the cadmiums which are heavy metals and penetrate the skin. I run to the bathroom many times during the course of a painting session to wash up.
There were many times when I got frustrated and almost painted a big X across the entire board, times when I felt like smashing it on the ground. But where would I have been then? No, to get something the way you want it, you have to persevere. Nothing comes of nothing, as somebody sang. The same applies to writing. If we give up on our work, then we have nothing to show. So, stick to you apples.
I'm off now to the studio. I talked with Robert yesterday who told me there's still a small problem with a couple of the apples. "It's worth spending a little more time on them." He gives us plenty of encouragement but never lets us get away with sloppy work either. I'm grateful for that.
8 comments:
WOWWOWOWOWOOWWOW!!!!
Wowee!
It looks fantastic. I'm glad you didn't give up. And geez, those apples look pretty good to me. I say Robert's just being picky. ;-)
Stella,
Congratulations! I have a friend who's been working on a painting the whole time I work on my book, and we've been talking back and forth lot about the similarities of our processes. I get so amazed that she can look at her project and see those tiny, tiny details that still need to be done and how to do them, but then I think about the writing and rewriting, and realize maybe it's not all that different.
It's just that I am SO non-visual and so NON-artistic in a painting/drawing way, that you and she blow me away!
Thanks, Linda and Becky.
Yes, painting is much like writing only different. Instead of words and sentences, the painter uses brushes and paint. Either way, it's about creating pictures in the viewer's mind, of helping him/her see something in a fresh way.
With writing, the rules are better defined than they are with painting where sometimes, it seems, anything goes. I love both the language and the visual arts.
Robert told me today that I'd brought my painting to a great place - a place where I could begin applying some notes of color and artistry. I looked at him and told him that I thought I was done. Uh uh. Guess he's trying to push me to another level -- for me, unexplored territory.
Looks great Stella. You are very talented. All I can paint is ceilings and walls.
It looks beautiful, Stella!
It's beautiful, Stella!
Thanks, ladies. I'm terrible at ceilings and walls. I do them but it's a mess.
STUNNING, Stella! It is absolutely beatiful! I got a chance to stick to my apples this weekend and am almost complete done with my first revisions of the novel. Thanks for the inspiration!
Post a Comment