Friday, June 1, 2007

Glasses, Who Needs Them? (me)

I finally got a new pair of glasses. One of my students said they make me look like Junie B. Jones. Ha! I swear, I'm getting blinder by the day. I cannot see the numbers in my book catalogs anymore without my specs or even the sign in sheet at work.

I wasn't always like this. From age four to about age thirty nine, I had just plain old astigmatism. Then I turned forty and far sightedness set in like a permanent bad weather system, turning my world to haze. For a while I went about replacing our ordinary lightbulbs with higher wattage bulbs like Reveal. I was thrilled when I picked up a magnifying bookmark at an SCBWI conference last year.

I've talked to doctors about lasic surgery but, frankly, the idea scares me and it wouldn't correct everything. And what if they mess up? My vision, such as it is, is precious to me. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't paint or use a keyboard anymore, not to mention read or countless other little pleasures that involve sight.

Last night I went to a retirement dinner and an amazing peacock strutted past the window. He was a gorgeous bird and I wish I'd had my camera handy. At least I could see him, though.

5 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Glasses. Oh what fun. I have glasses. I wear them about once a month. I should really wear them all the time, but I'm lazy. They're always in another room and I can't be bothered to go get them. Sometimes they're right beside me and I don't put them on because they're smudged and I'm too lazy to clean them. Pathetic, I know.

My eyes are strained all the time, I get too many headaches and because one eye is worse than the other, my squinting in one eye is creating unequal wrinkle creation. I must stop the madness.

Maybe what I need is for my sight to get just bad enough that I NEED the glasses to see. But according to Stella, that would not be favourable either.

What to do...

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Stella, I just got progressive lenses, myself. The big bummer is that 2 years ago, I finally found the glasses I wanted all my life (I've worn glasses since 16). Fun, stylish...ah! But progressives--they don't fit in my small frames. Drat!

So I had to find some new ones, which are okay, but not nearly as cute as my old ones. So to treat myself, I added the transitions feature so when I'm reading by the pool (the community pool that is!) I can shade my eyes AND see.

And Linda, STOP THE MADNESS! Get those specs on, girl! What you need are some really cool frames that make you feel like you gotta have them on. They complete your look!

Anyhoo...keep on seeing the world, gals.

Stella said...

Mary Ann, I went to the eye doc. at COSTCO who told me they now have the technology to make small progressive lenses. And that's what mine are -- progressive. I love them!

Yes, Linda, use your glasses instead of squinting. I try not to use them all the time because wearing glasses actually makes your eyes weaker. Anyhow, here's looking at you!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

See? I used to wear them all the time and my prescription kept changing. Now that I don't wear them often, my eyes haven't changed in 6 years. But yeah, I really need to start wearing them more anyway.

I'd put them on now, but yeah ... they're all the way upstairs. Maybe later?

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Oh gosh Stella, I love that picture of you in your first library! You look so happy to be around all those books!

:)