When Derek reached the halfway point along the AT - a place called Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pennsylvania - he took the half gallon challenge. Apparently a little ice cream shop challenges the thru-hikers to eat a half gallon of their delicious ice cream. They have to pay for this, mind you. And what do the hikers get if they polish off the entire half gallon? They get stomach cramps and a free wooden spoon that says something like "The Half Gallon Challenge". Who could resist? Derek finished it but he didn't feel well afterward. Why do the hikers do this over and over when the only people who benefit from it are the owners of the ice cream shop? I can only think that it must be one of those Appalachian Trail rites of passage
Despite all the calories he ingested, he didn't gain an ounce. In fact, he's been having trouble maintaining his weight. When I last spoke with him last, he'd dropped from 132 to 120 pounds. He's naturally slim but that's thin even for him.
Anyhow, Derek called yesterday. He was at the Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey where he planned to stay the night at a hostel and eat a few slices of pizza. He says the closer he gets to New York, the better the pizza. Of course everybody knows New York has the best pizza! He still has many miles to go before he can he's finished -- much of it pretty tough going as he gets into Vermont and Maine.
5 comments:
Stella, this is so fabulous! I love that your son is taking this journey, one that he will never forget. How could he not take the half-gallon challenge?
It doesn't surprise me that he is having trouble keeping his weight up...all that walking and fresh air. It makes me miss my days in Ireland. Ahhhhh...(wistful sigh, here).
Your son sounds like a pretty neat guy--and you're a pretty neat mom, too!
Thanks, Mary Ann. He is a neat guy, if I don't say so myself. When he started this hike, I had my doubts about him sticking with it but he's really proven he's made of tougher stuff than I gave him credit for.
I want a half gallon of ice cream!!!!!
I'd like to try a New York pizza. I doubt I've had anything even close.
And what a long hike! How long has he been at this?
He's been at this hike since March, Heather. He's well past the halfway point but still has some rough terrain ahead -- literally.
Post a Comment