Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goals For the New Year

I don't like the word "resolution". To me, a resolution is just a promise waiting to be broken. Instead, this year I have goals I'd like to work toward. If I don't quite achieve them, at least I'll make some progress in the right direction and that's a zillion times better than some lame resolution I know I'll never keep. Anyhow, here are mine:

1. Take at least 2 minutes off my 5K race time. I love the afterburn of a hard run and I like to run fast. Alas, I'm not as young as I once was and my definition of "fast" has been revised over the years. Still, I can compete with other women in my age group and I'm not too far from earning an occasional medal. Here's hoping I can run through the winter and remain injury free, while increasing my base. If I can do that, I'll be on my way later this year.

2. To put together a group of good paintings for an art show. Natalia Clarke and I will be having a small art show sometime next spring and I need to be ready for it. This is actually a "must do".

3. To finish the novel I've been working on - a fantasy. I got a little tired of it and put it aside and now it's time to pick it up and finish it.

4. To get working on my second project - a verse novel. This one will be totally different from my current project. I am looking forward to it immensely. I just hope that I can "make it work", as Tim Gunn says.

5. To complete my 2nd Bargue copy and maybe almost finish my 2nd cast drawing.

I think that's enough for this year. What are your goals for 2012?

6 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

My immediate goal is to get the kitchen cleaned. After that, it seems all things are possible :)

Best wishes to you for all your goals.

Stella said...

Well, there's always cleaning, LOL! I should clean out my closets, too. Thanks for stopping by, Mirka.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

This sounds like a great variety of goals. The only goal I've officially set for myself is to have my YA verse novel ready to pitch by May when I attend my first conference.
Happy New Year to a fellow verse novel writer ;)

Terry said...

I'm just taking out last year's list and changing the date. :-\

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

I don't like to make resolutions, either. But goals are always good. You have some pretty spectacular stuff on your list—all doable!

I am looking forward to hearing about your projects as they unfurl their wings and get ready to soar.

Rock on in 2012!

Stella said...

Thanks for stopping in inluvwith words, Terry and Mary Ann. Terry, that's funny! Best of luck with you, inluvwithwords. Pitching a novel isn't easy. And thanks, Mary Ann. I'm betting you're going to sell a novel any day now. Chin up.