Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Two For Tuesday

Two things that have been bothering me recently.

1. Lately I've noticed a trend among school administrators to keep new teachers for 3 years and THEN deny them tenure. Shabby, very shabby. The unions seem to be letting it happen, which doesn't say much for them. Years ago one district out here on the Island had a reputation for pulling this stunt. Anybody who was any good avoided them. Being denied tenure is always a blow to an aspiring teacher's self-confidence but there is no excuse to bring down the ax after 3 years. It's a tacky way of keeping salaries down, not to mention that it's also demoralizing. People accuse teachers of being overpaid but I challenge anybody to stand in front of a group of kids and try to educate them while keeping them entertained and engaged.

2. I usually try to keep politics out of this blog because it would be like opening the floodgates. I do want to say this, however. The Republicans can say what they want about the Democrats but when Bill Clinton left office after his tenure, this country was in great shape. We didn't have a national debt or any wars waging overseas, people had jobs and protecting the environment was something almost everybody agreed was important to the survival of this planet. Despite the problem with his zipper, Clinton was an excellent president. It took George W. Bush 2 terms to undo almost everything. Even I didn't think it was possible. What a fine mess they've gotten us into.

And that's all folks. Now I'm off to paint.

No comments: