Friday, December 11, 2009

Five Things On a Friday

I have neglected this blog for far too long. Time to check in. Maybe I should call it quits until my life simmers down. Anyhow, here's what's been going on.

1. A librarian in our district retired at the end of November. Instead of hiring a replacement for her, as we all expected they would, the district decided to make the rest of us cover all her classes. Result: I'm now working in 3 libraries and have been saddled with 17 new classes in the middle of the year. Aaaarghhhh!

2. I've been working hard on cleaning up a library that's been neglected for the last 5 years - perhaps even longer. Lots of junk has accumulated and I'm trying to declutter it. I came across 4 tape recorders (only 1 worked), a broken book-binding machine, 8 free mugs from a library supply company (two of which had the skeletal remains of spider crickets in them - ugh), boxes and boxes of spiral book binders, a complete set of childhood biographies of famous Americans that nobody has read in ages, a set of Biography Now (most of them published in the 60s and 70s) and all sorts of useless racks, cd holders, cassette tapes and things that I can only describe as worthless crap. The collection is pretty solid, although many of the books need to be replaced due to wear. I am also reconfiguring the layout of the library and replacing the dusty, uninspiring pictures with more kid friendly artwork and posters. The administration is trying to get us a nice bright area rug and I'm hoping we can get the library a fresh coat of paint sometime over the next few months. It's a challenge but it's gratifying to see how much better the library is already looking. I'll take a picture and post it soon.

3. After weeks of mild fall weather, winter descended on us in a furious blast of arctic air. After enjoying temperatures in the 50s, we're now shivering! Brrrrrr!

4. Speaking of shivering, I'm currently reading Maggie Stiefvater's YA novel, Shiver. What a beautifully written and intriguing love story. Hat's off to Maggie!

5. Anybody know what to get a husband who claims he has everything he needs? I wish I could knit.I'd make him a scarf and gloves. I used to knit and crochet but it's been years and I've forgotten how, sigh.

Enjoy the weekend, everybody!

1 comment:

Danette Haworth said...

Hi Stella!

Just popping in to say Merry Christmas!

Hope the New Year sees you out from under the new load of work. Also, husband are definitely hard to buy for! I wish we really could buy them ties, heh-heh.