Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Soggy Saturday



My husband ran the Hamptons Marathon the Saturday before last and I wish I had a picture but I don't. He finished in under 4 hours, qualifying for Boston. Yay! It was tough day for him. For one, I couldn't go with him because I was home sick with bronchitis so thankfully my son, Derek, accompanied him. Then, not only was the course grueling, but it rained torrents all morning. Dennis found himself sloshing through puddles, mud, fog and uphill and downhill and into the wind in every direction. Although the conditions weren't pleasant, they certainly made the race a memorable one. Of course, moments after crossing the finish line, the storm blew out over the Atlantic, the sky cleared and the sun came out.

Back home, we had high tides that crept over the bulkheading into our backyard. That's nothing new around here. Above is a picture of a particularly high tide taken after a nor'easter last year. See the mallards swimming in our backyard? Fortunately, the water has never come into our house - just the crawl space (where we have a pump installed).

Over the course of the fall and winter, I expect we'll get hit with a couple more high tides which is why we always keep a pair of waders handy in the front room closet. Living near the water has its down side.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a marathon here on Saturday as well and it rained the whole time, too. I felt so bad for those runners. My friend missed the Boston qualification by only a few seconds. She's pretty bummed.

Stella said...

She missed Boston by a few seconds? Bummer! I stick to the treadmill, for the most part, cause it's easier on my poor feet. I've broken both feet twice and had operations on them both. I also bike. Much easier on the feet.

Thanks for stopping by!

Terry said...

I knew you lived on a canal...but I didn't think ON a canal. It's gorgeous. Can't wait to visit.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Weird. I was here a few days ago and could have sworn I left a comment. But it's not here, so I'll do it again.

Wow, I had no idea you were so close to the water. Beautiful!

Heather Ayris Burnell said...

I think that people who run marathons are amazing. Hats off to your hubby.
And what a great place to live! Beautiful!