I'm sloshing around in the murky middle of my novel. I wish I were one of those writers who could plot each chapter carefully and knew exactly what was going to happen next. But, that's just not the way I write. I like to make discoveries as I go along. And I like the surprise of those aha moments that send goose pimples up and down my back.
Often, writing is not that way. I write a little, then sit back and wonder if I'm making sense. Sometimes I like what I've written, but more often than not, I wind up revising and revising my latest installment. Long ago, my mom taught me how to knit. As long as I paid attention and remembered to count my stitches, my rows came out nice and neat and, if I stuck to the pattern, eventually everything would come together and I'd wind up with a scarf or a pair of mittens or even a hat. For me, writing is a little like knitting but without the pattern. So, I expect I'll wind up with a rather lumpy first novel that may not hang together all that well. If that's the case, I guess I can always pull out the stitches and redo things.
While I'm blogging, I just want to wish Megan Holden (from our Monday night running group) good luck today in the Boston Marathon. Last year, she qualified for the Olympic time trials with a blistering 2:44 and Boston is the race from which the women's Olympic marathon team will be selected. She's self coached, by the way. So, go Megan! We know it's an outside shot, but we're rooting for you.
3 comments:
Middles suck. I'm stuck in the middle of my novel right now too, and although I have a rough plan, I can't seem to get this thing to move forward.
And I can't knit!!
I just had a brainstorming session with a friend where we sat & looked at each thread she had in her opening & sort of tracked out where each could/had to go--who knows if it'll take her all the way through, but it'll definitely get her further. It was actually pretty fun, and gave me ideas for trying to plot my YA.
You can do this. And I wish you were out here to help me finish the stupid sock I haven't knitted on for a year!
Actually, I've clean forgotten how to knit. I mean, I was 12 or 13 at the time. Maybe if somebody sat down with me for an hour or so it would all come back.
Becky, are all the threads of your entire novel suppose to be there in the first chapter? If so, I'm in a bad way -- like totally off base.
Post a Comment