Here's a portrait I worked on recently. Still needs work but I ran out of model time. It looks like her but sort of a cartoonish version of her (Cara). She doesn't really have her eyes closed. She was reading a book but I was going crazy trying to capture her hands and arms position (which changed constantly) so Robert finally told me to ditch the book, arms and hands. That was a study unto itself. Consequently, I couldn't see the bottom part of the painting so I had to guess a lot. I just didn't have time to go in and refine it. I also snapped this as it was beginning to get dark out. It looks a mite better in real life. I think.
Painting is always a humbling experience. Always.
7 comments:
I'm always impressed by people who can paint like you. My own talents have not surpassed stickmen.
yeah, I'm in the stickman category, too.
You are amazing, Stella. Even work you're not happy with is still way better than any of the rest of us can do.
I was going to say, if I could figure out how to post photos, I'd take a shot of some of my doodles and make you feel a WHOLE better!
I know what you mean, though. When you know what needs to be worked on, but don't feel ready for it.
The rest will come. And what you have is beautiful.
Thanks, all. I wish I had more time to work on it but I just don't. My husband draws nice parabolas but that's about the extent of his artistic ability (though he does build some nice furniture).
Art is a lot like writing, or any art -- you have to work at it and work at it. It doesn't happen the first time you set pencil to paper or brush to canvas. Most of the time, though, it's more relaxing than writing.
I love the warm, rich colors. Somehow that's so at odds with her expression.
They've cancelled the watercolor painting class I took one semester twice now. I'm doomed to be a newbie at everything. Forever.
Thanks, Terry. Is there someplace else you can take a watercolor class? Maybe you can set up something at home to paint? I love watercolors! We were in the city today to see the Rembrandt exhibit at the Met (wow!. They also featured artists who were influenced by Rembrandt -- Vermeer, Meas,etc. I was most impressed by the Vermeers, though astounded by how small they were.
Post a Comment