Friday, August 31, 2007

The Habit of Reading


So, here I am staring down the road at the advent of another school year and wondering, as always, where the summer went. When I was a kid growing up in Michigan, the summers seemed to stretch on forever. Perhaps it was because we lived at the western edge of the time zone where the sky clung to every last drop of pink dusky light. Around the time of the summer solstice, sunset wasn't until nearly ten o'clock.

Or maybe it was because, outside of caring for my big white rabbit, Whiskey, and weeding the garden, there was nothing I had to do and nowhere I had to be each day. For the most part, my time was my own. I spent a lot of it playing kickball in the street with my friends, swimming in the pool and reading through the stack of books I brought home from the library every few weeks. Growing up in war ravaged England, my parents had only attended school until they were 14. Still, they recognized the power of books and established the habit of reading in us at an early age. As I got older and began working, the summers seemed to shrink. Those lazy days spent reading, swimming and playing kickball had gone forever.

While I haven't played kickball since I was fifteen and rarely swim much anymore, I still go to the library. During the course of the school year, I go to the library every day. I am a librarian, after all. And no matter how busy I get, I usually find time to curl up with a book each night before turning out the light. Some habits we just never grow out of.

7 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

You know what's funny? I don't remember reading much as a kid. When people ask me what my favourite books were, I stumble. The only book I remember reading as a child, is Watership Down. I have a vague memory of Little House on the Prairie and I think I may have read Anne of Green Gables, but beyond that, I don't think I read much of anything.

I'm so glad I've learned to enjoy more books in my adulthood. If only I could convince my 11 year old son that reading is supposed to be fun.

Stella said...

Maybe he hasn't found the book he connects with yet. I used to get in trouble in school for reading instead of paying attention to the teacher. Books were always better than math.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

He's found a couple that he likes and he reads them over and over and over... that's fine. It's just so frustrating because I know the real reason he won't expand to other books is his lack of reading confidence. He feels like he's not a good reader, so he shouldn't read.

Very frustrating.

Danette Haworth said...

Oh yes, those Michigan summers! I remember coming out of the movies at 9:30 pm and the sun was this big, orange globe in the sky.

I read every night, too. Can't really settle down without a few words.

Anonymous said...

Stella, it's so nice to picture the librarian who, after spending her whole work day with books, still wants to go home and escape with another! Your students must just love you.

Linda, your son's re-reading isn't necessarily a sign of a lack of confidence. My son is a huge reader, considers himself a great reader, and still rereads and rereads. I guess I'd call him a cautious reader? Which fits his personality--why try something new when the old things are good? He's recently found the Xanth books--he read the first four, then--with a week or so till the next set came in at the bookmobile--went back & is just finishing rereading them, immediately after finishing them. He's also going back and rereading his Droon series again--and he's also 11!

I know the feeling, honestly, it's why I have every one of Agatha Christie's books on my shelves--for those days when I WANT something I know!

One trick I do with my son, when he lets me, is start him off by reading a chapter or two of a new book/series to him. If he gets caught, he may dig in himself. Just as a recommendation for a new series--my son LOVED the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Becky. I'm always trying to find books he'll like. I've read so many beginnings of books to him, though. He's still not super motivated to continue them.

For him, it is lack of confidence. Always has been. In grade 4, when he was tested, we discovered that he was reading at a grade one level. It's been a real struggle ever since. He's come a long way with his skills, but his confidence has lagged.

Anonymous said...

Linda,

That's really tough--it's great, though, that you keep working with him.