Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Road Less Traveled



I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

So concludes Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken", one of my favorites.

Why do I want to be an author of children's books, of all things? When I tell people my plans, they often look at me and say, "Better stick to being a librarian" or "Yeah, maybe one day I'll write a kid's book, too" as though nothing could be easier. In reality, writing a book that will captivate a child's imagination is a daunting task. Trying to get one published seems nearly impossible. Where to begin?

Well, as I told my son when he began questioning the feasibility of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, you start at the beginning and take one small step at a time. If you stop to think about how long it will take to cover over 2,100 miles, you'll be overwhelmed and perhaps never finish. In my quest to become an author, that is, after all, what I do; I take one step at a time.

For Derek, the beginning started long before the drive down to the approach trail in Georgia. It began months ago with some background reading. He researched the history of the trail, read thru-hiker's journals, took notes on the supplies he'd need, where to camp, how to deal with bears and what obstacles he might encounter. To get in shape, he started running. He made certain he bought lightweight, water resistant clothing and equipment. And he boxed and stockpiled loads of food for us to mail to various towns along the trail.

Becoming a writer requires self-education, too. Even though I write almost daily, I also read a great deal -- children's books, books about characterization, dialogue, plotting and thematic development, books about where to submit and how to get published. I subscribe to a professional writing journal and attend writing conferences from time to time. And I belong to a wonderful critique group who has helped me immensely. Still, I'm not there yet. Neither is Derek. But, with every day he spends on the trail, he gets closer to his goal. He knows, as well as I, that a lot of people begin the journey but few actually finish. It is, after all, an arduous undertaking.

Each of my tiny successes brings me closer to my goal too. How's that? Well, without them, I'd probably never have the will to keep plugging away. Every time I get something else published, I know I must be doing something right. So, I keep at it, one step at a time. Despite the rejections, the occasional feelings of unworthiness and, at times, the long upward climb, I keep at it.

13 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

You're a great writer. I'm looking forward to your big successes, Stella. I know they are close. If you close your eyes, you can smell them, I bet.

Terry said...

Your aspirations are matched by your talent and (enviable) work ethic. We have no doubts.

Mrs. Breum said...

Great post, Stella! Our little crit group is all waiting for you to get your first book. :)

Stella said...

Ho ho, that could be a long wait! This summer, I'd like to begin trying to write and illustrate my own picture book. Don't know that I could do it but I know some fine artists who'd be willing to advise me. Thanks so much, ladies, for the votes of confidence.

Terry said...

I was wondering why you weren't doing something that you could both author and illustrate.

Have you read Zen Shorts yet? The illustrations are super (did I just tell you that somewhere else?)

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I would love to see that Stella! Good luck!

Linda

Stella said...

Terry, I have Zen Shorts in my library - a beautiful book. Illustrating is so different from doing a still life or a portrait. More about using the imagination. I have a weird idea for a story and I'm not sure I can bring it off. I'll see. I'm also trying to write at least 1 chpt. a month of my novel. I still have some plotting issues I haven't resolved.

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Wow, Stella. That's all I can say. Wow! (to quote Kevin Henkes) Even your musings are beautiful, and inspiring. And your son is amazing, too. That is such a journey...as is yours.

I can't wait to read your book, all bound in its shiny new cover. Good luck with your illustrating. You can do it!

Stella said...

Thanks, Mary Ann. Doing a picture book would be fun, but hard. I bought Uri Shulevitz's Writing With Pictures. My public library had it but they wouldn't let me borrow it. They wouldn't even let me look at it -- even after I told them I was a librarian too. Makes me wonder who's in charge there. The Librarian From the Black Lagoon? Anyhow, I hope I live long enough to see a book in print. Seems like such a long long ways off.

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Stay with it, Stella. You will! Sounds like a strange library system over there. What the heck?!

Heather Ayris Burnell said...

"Yeah, maybe one day I'll write a kid's book, too" as though nothing could be easier.

Ooo I hate that comment!
It would be so much fun to see a story you wrote and illustrated, Stella. I hope you will share it with us someday.
And you and Derek are amazing. I hope you both have wonderful journeys, and that I get to read about them.

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Ahem, Stella!

So did you do that on purpose? Did you disable comments from your latest post so we couldn't say anything nice about your beautiful painting? huh.

Well, I'm going to say it here then. I love your painting! How nice that you get that special time every week to do what you love. :)

Stella said...

Geeze, Linda, I didn't know I'd disabled anything. Is that why nobody has posted any comments? I thought maybe people were offended by the art links (with the figures). How do I fix this? Help!!