Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Clean Well-Lighted Space


Every aspiring author needs a place to write and here is mine. My husband found the desk at an antique shop years ago, sanded off the ugly black paint and refinished it. I love it! It has roomy drawers with pull out trays on either side.

I cannot write facing a blank wall. I need a window to look out and a little piece of nature to rest my eyes on - a graceful tree and a ribbon of blue sky. In front of my window is a mountain laurel. In the spring when it's covered with sweet smelling white flowers, a family of robins usually builds a nest there.

To the right (where you can't see) is a big bookcase. Half of it is filled with reference books and my writing and art books. The other half is filled with Den's science, math and history books. His desk and computer are on the other side of the room, which you aren't allowed to see (even I try not to see it).

Before I had this space, I wrote on the couch or in bed or wherever I could find a quiet spot. I don't need to have a desk next to a window with a view. It's just, well, nice to have a little place you can call your own.

6 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Very nice, Stella. I'm not sure you want to see mine. Maybe tomorrow I'll be brave enough to take a picture and post it on my blog.

Maybe we should all share pix of our writing spaces. We could hold a contest for least organized ... I win!

Stella said...

I don't know, Linda. My space isn't that organized. Actually, I know where everything is but somebody looking through my drawers, god forbid, would probably think it was a cluttered mess. I still have things to hang back on the wall. I could also do with a studio for painting supplies. They take lots of room. Our bedroom has and easel in it and a stack of canvases, paint tubes ... Post it anyhow. It's good to see pictures of everybody and where they live.
Stella

Mrs. Breum said...

Really cute desk, Stella!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

come visit my blog again ... I just amazed myself!

I couldn't have done it without you. Love ya.

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

I love your space! I'm envious. You and Linda have inspired me to share mine, so look for my hovel on my next blog entry. Stop by and we'll swap ghost stories! http://thebrokentree.blogspot.com

I love your window. That's the thing that's really missing for me. I need sunshine and at least a hint of a view, even if it is only the jungle gym out back. As it is, I get a shaft of light from the basement window--you know how those are, half-way underground.

Anonymous said...

Your comment, Stella, about having "a little place you can call your own" brings to mind Virginia Woolf's assertion almost 80 years ago that "a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction" (http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/w/woolf/ virginia/w91r/index.html).

Since "room" also can refer to time, does that mean there’s a direct correlation between space and time? You tell me, ladies. Does your writing space look like your schedule? (Mine does.)